Sunday, July 13, 2008

the eagle has landed


I was chewing on my Juicy Nookie Burger when I asked Tom and Joan, "What is the name of this place?.. The Shamrock what?"... "It's just the Shamrock," Tom said. "Why?" they both asked, rolling their eyes. "You're going to put this on your blog?"

"Not unless something blog-worthy happens", I answered, adding, "On the other hand, when has that ever stopped me?"

The Shamrock Grill & Pub it is, the "shamrock" apparently being some part of a former incarnation because there is nothing Irish about the place now. It's a sports bar with good burgers and fries, on West 7th Street in St. Paul. We've tried to come here before, but other times there was always a wait for a table, and we didn't. Wait, that is.

I don't do lines, you know.

At about this time, my cell phone rang. It was Jerry. Their plane had just touched down at MSP from Denver. It was Day Twelve of the twelve-day adventure for Jerry and the German girls. They had a great time, I've been looking at hundreds of digital photos. For any of you considering a vacation to the American Southwest, they all enthusiastically recommend it with the following proviso: Don't do it in July. It's way too stinkin' hot.
*****
The photo above: Jerry at White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. (By the way, do you know that if you click on these blog photos, you'll get a full-screen version?).

2 comments:

elle + josh said...

what a great picture of jerry! glad he's home. i've enjoyed catching up with your blog today, uncle howard!

muse said...

I could say the same thing about Key West, FL-don't do it in July! It was too hot and humid and the weather was unpredictable...we had to postpone the boat/wedding for the next day. That really screwed up my travel plans. I had to change flights, car rental, and an extra day at the hotel...None of this was in the budget. Oh Well! The wedding was beautiful and the kids look and act so happy.

They are off to New York next and then to Wiscousin to see family there.