Wednesday, June 26, 2013

pre-empting the edward snowden thing

I was going to blog something today about Edward Snowden, the National Security Agency guy who leaked information and is being called traitor and hero and everything in between as he moves from country to country looking for asylum.

But the Supreme Court this morning overruled my thoughts when they trashed DOMA (the spiteful Defense of Marriage Act) and also permitted same-sex marriages to resume in California.

All good news...

But then the tax-guy persona in me kicked in and I started wondering about some ramifications, good or bad -- In states where same-sex marriage is legal, those couples can now file a federal Married Filing Joint tax return -- But I'm assuming that the only other, usually bad, option is to file Married Filing Separately... Filing Single won't be an option anymore, unless they get divorced.

I bet divorce attorneys love these newly-allowed marriages.

No comments: