Sunday, July 6, 2014

your memphis to-do list

This is my third trip to Memphis, and it now feels familiar and cool to me.  I mean, you wouldn't want to live here.  For one thing, it's in the politically screwed-up state of Tennessee.  And it's a friendly place, lots of Southern charm, but you might be afraid to go out by yourself after dark.  The weather here this particular weekend is perfect, but summer heat and humidity can often by oppressive (Did you used to read the John Grisham books that took place in Memphis?)

BUT, as a place to visit, I highly recommend Memphis.  Some unique places to see:

1). Graceland, Elvis Presley's home, and don't say to me, "But I'm not an Elvis fan!", because you'd like it anyway.  It's a hoot.
2). The Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King was assassinated.  It's of course not a motel anymore but is the site of the National Civil Rights Museum.
3). The Stax Museum of American Soul Music, located in the building that used to house Stax Records.  If you were a fan of '60s soul music like I was, you'll find this place fascinating.
4). Beale Street, the home of American Blues music.
5). The Peabody Ducks.  I know this sounds weird, but these ducks live on the roof of this elegant old downtown Peabody Hotel and take the elevator down to stroll through the lobby a couple times a day, then they get back on the elevator and go back upstairs.  They draw quite a crowd.
6). The Rendezvous restaurant, which you'll find in an alley a couple blocks from Beale Street.  Best ribs I have ever found.  Festive, fun atmosphere.
7). The Memphis Zoo, which is apparently one of the top zoos in the U.S.  Okay, I haven't been there yet.  Maybe next visit.

No comments: