Saturday, February 23, 2019

small talk with a collapse expert

A few minutes ago, I was reading an interesting article on BBC.com titled "Are we on the road to civilisation collapse?  Studying the demise of historic civilisations can tell us how much risk we face today, says collapse expert Luke Kemp.  Worrying, the signs are worsening."

As fascinating and convincing as this topic is -- and I'm very much for Saving the Planet while personally hoping that you and I are long dead before climate change actually kills us -- I, shallow thinker than I am, find myself hung up on the term "collapse expert".  How the heck does one become a collapse expert?  Are there many collapse experts?  Are they fun to be around?

What do we talk about at a cocktail party, as we sip our gin-and-tonics?

ME:  So, Mr. Kemp, welcome to the neighborhood.  What do you do for a living?

MR. KEMP:  I'm a collapse expert.

ME:   [speechless]

No comments: