Thursday, May 24, 2012

Irving

Some of you know that my blogging started with my old website, needahand.com, which went defunct three or four years ago for reasons that I won't go into. I started that site in 2001, and for most of that time it focused on the works of John Irving, my favorite living author. His new novel, In One Person, is occupying a lot of my time in my lazy-slug Luxor stay. It's nice to be back n the comfort of Irving's precise and quirky writing style. The story has a bisexual man as the main character, and, even though it's obviously written by a straight man, it's a good one, if you happen to be an Irving-phile; if you're not, you'd be thinking "What the hell kind of writing is this?"... (think: Dickens without any 19th-century restraints).... And I notice that sometime in the last 24 hours, this blog site went over 30,000 "page views", and no, I don't really know what that means either, but thanks for viewing.

2 comments:

elke said...

Howard, I see you've read it. As an Irvingophile from Garp on I watched this writer mature. "Dickensian", you think? Oh, well,... To my taste the last chapter was too much "ballroom" - with the exception of the angry young Kittredge, of course, whom I would have loved to get to know some more...

Howard said...

I'm not anywhere near the last chapter yet...will let you know what I think, Elke...