Thursday, July 12, 2012

jimmy has a busy but maybe unprofitable day

Late morning today, I stopped at the office in the northern burbs where my son Jon works, and he and all his co-workers were eating sandwiches from the fast-food chain Jimmy Johns.  Why?  Because Jimmy Johns had $1 sandwiches today between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., and who can resist a bargain like that?

Well, I resisted any temptation to stop at the Jimmy Johns near them, and I think it's a good thing I did.  When I got back downtown and was walking through the skyway, I passed a Jimmy Johns where there were literally about a hundred people waiting in line for their dollar sandwich.  The whole area was cordoned off for the customers, like they were waiting to meet the Pope or something.  I noticed some very well-to-do-looking people in the line -- some attorneys, for instance, who probably bill out at $400 an hour -- and they are looking to save a couple bucks for a half-hour wait in line?

I went to Arby's.  No line.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I agree, it isn't worth waiting in a long line for, but I was there at 10:50 and was the first one in line!