Friday, May 10, 2013

stax, burning love, etc. - Part 2

Here's one of the things I like about Memphis:  It's a very manageable city, easy to find your way around.  Graceland, as it turns out, is very close to the airport, so we went there before we did anything else.

I had been in Memphis several years ago but didn't go to Graceland because I had promised my sister that I would take her there someday, so here we were.  My expectations were low -- after all, this was Graceland -- but it turned out to be a lot of fun.  The house itself, as everyone will tell you, is smaller than you might expect, but it still has the look and decor from 1977, the year Elvis died, and then there are all the gold records, the memorabilia, etc., that will draw you in even if you knew nothing about Elvis.

Afterward, we had Elvis CDs in the rental car (Joan's favorite Elvis song:  "Burning Love"; mine:  back and forth between "Surrender" and "The Wonder of You") and maintained our Elvis high for a little while as we set out to explore Memphis.  Meanwhile, my Graceland pledge was fulfilled.

No comments: