Thursday, September 4, 2014

raising the trust standards

“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”
William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Jon and Tom tell me that one of my major flaws is that I like everybody, which to them means that I have no standards.  Well, it's true that I like just about everybody, even strangers on the street, but, truth me told, there may be five or ten people that I don't like.

Trust, however, is a different story.  Trust goes much deeper, and I'm finding that as I get older -- and especially at this moment in my life -- the group of people that I trust would all fit into a very small circle.  People let you down and, when they do, they make you distrust even the people that have no intentions of ever doing you wrong.

And I feel that I do wrong to none, but I bet there are people who don't trust me either, and they should.

No comments: