Friday, July 24, 2015

the science of knowing when to drop 'em

As of this moment, I have 278 "Facebook friends", a term that a few years ago would have meant nothing.  To say that I have that many "friends" also means nothing, trust me on this:  A few of them I've never met, a couple of them are deceased, some are cousins that I haven't seen in 40 years, quite a few are high school classmates that I never had an actual conversation with in high school but with whom I am Facebook-conversing about seeing each other next month at our high school reunion.  It's weird.

Of those 278 real and pseudo friends, about ten percent of them are posting annoying crap non-stop, the worst being right-wing ignorant nonsense:  outright racism, Obama-bashing, Christian persecution-complex, gun-nut stuff, that sort of thing.

The casual observer of my plight would say, "Well, dude, if these misguided fools are annoying you every day, de-friend them!"

Hence this discussion.

Do I want to only surround myself with people who think like I do?  Do I want to know what "the other side" is thinking?  As I despair for this divided country, is it hard to look away from the current and oncoming trainwreck?

Since I started writing this post a few minutes ago, I have dropped no one....

No comments: