Saturday, March 26, 2011

hanging out with wookies

My son Jon, my longtime co-worker Theresa, and Theresa's daughter Naomi and I did a night at the theater last night -- Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale at the Guthrie Theater here in Minneapolis.  A good production of an odd play, all done very Guthrie-like, "modern" dress (actually the 1950s and the 1970s) -- and no, I don't understand the modern-dress thing either, but that's what they do these days.  And I don't want to go on again about Shakespeare too much since I just had my Ides of March rant last week and I don't want you to think I'm a total nerd (Renaissance man, yes)...

... but one of the major cool things about the Guthrie is the building itself.  Theresa had never been there, so it was fun showing her around.  One of the things I like about the place is a sort-of futuristic, hidden bar on the 4th floor, with a very low ceiling, that for some reason always reminds me of the "wookie bar" in the first Star Wars movie.  That's what Jerry and I call it, The Wookie Bar. I can almost picture Chewbacca on the other side of the bar....

No comments: