Wednesday, March 9, 2011

tuesday, wednesday, whatever...

When I left work late in the evening last night, I got home and dragged Jerry out to the bar. You know?, I just needed to be somewhere in the outside world, which I sometimes forget exists. And the bar, "the 19", was surprisingly busy, I thought, for a Tuesday night. There was no place to sit and I'm no good at standing around with a drink in my hand, so we went outside on the patio and sipped our drinks under the heat lamps, keeping our coats on in 30-degree temps out there, and we hung out with the smokers and it was a fun crowd.

Only later did it occur to me that it was Fat Tuesday -- the end of Mardi Gras and all the other names that pre-Lenten festival has in much of the world. I doubt that Fat Tuesday was the reason this particular bar was busy -- maybe Tuesday nights are always like that, but I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard anything about Mardi Gras this year (Katie didn't mention it).

And today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, and I really have no idea what Ash Wednesday is all about except that I know that people overnight go from partying to having somber and reflective thoughts. I'm not feeling particularly somber. I want to go back to the bar.

No comments: