Saturday, April 23, 2011

#49

We started the day out in Oklahoma City and ended it here in Dallas.  You know, it's funny but when, before visiting, I thought of Oklahoma City, my first thought would have been the bombing of the federal building on April 19, 1995, and, unless it's football season, my first thought of Dallas would have been the assassination of JFK on November 22, 1963.  Today, in the same day, I visited the sites of both of those tragedies, and, curiously, I felt I had already been in both places before.  Maybe my first thoughts from now on will be what these cities are really like.

Notes so far:  Jerry and I agreed that if we were forced (at gunpoint, no doubt) to live in one of these two cities, we'd pick Oklahoma City.  And, only based on what we've seen so far, I've liked Oklahoma overall better than Texas.

But I've done my self-imposed duty and have seen Texas, making it the 49th out of the 50 states for me to visit.  Oregon will be #50 for me, maybe later this year.  My brother Davy, who lives in San Antonio when he's not in China, thought that I was saving Texas for last.  I wasn't.  I mostly just didn't want to come here while Bush was President.  And now the current Governor of Texas thinks the state should secede from the Union, so maybe I got here just in time.  Now I say, "Let 'em go!"

No comments: