Friday, April 15, 2011

the "revenue" in the IRS

Yeah, I know.  It's April 15th, the notorious Tax Deadline date (Except that this year the deadline was moved to Monday the 18th).

I gotta say this, though.  Everybody hates the Internal Revenue Service, so it's an easy institution to bash and a popular whipping-boy for politicans and candidates.  But I was noticing in the just-passed Congressional budget that part of the $36 billion in spending cuts includes a reduction in funds for the IRS, which means less audits and less money for enforcement of the tax laws. 

Needless to say, I don't want my clients to undergo IRS examinations because IRS audits are a total pain in the butt, but speaking objectively to a Congress that is mouthing-off about "reducing the budget deficit" -- IRS audits bring in way more revenue than they cost.  It's really stupid to cut the IRS budget.  I'm sure, though, that the major corporations and executives who own our Congress don't want any more scrutiny.  They win again.

No comments: