Thursday, January 5, 2012

you're not gonna hear silence from me

A warning to my daily readers:  The Academy Award nominees will be announced soon, and you know how I always make myself see all of the Best Picture nominees (yeah yeah I know -- even though movies aren't nearly as good as they used to be and the whole awards system is a corporate crock, but give me a break).

Considering the potential nominees, it may turn out that the only probable nominee that I actually saw in 2011 was The Help.  So I'll be seeing some movies between now and February 26, the date of the telecast, and you'll be hearing about it.

The other day, we went to see The Artist, a film that is making all of the critics' Top Tens for 2011.  It's a way different movie from the usual stuff.  It takes place in the late '20s, early '30s when movies were going from being silent to being "talkies".  The Artist is all in black and white and mostly all silent, shot in the style of the silents.  Like I say, you need to be prepared for something out of the ordinary, but it's a cool movie, it will make you feel good.  Possible spoiler alert:  The dog steals the show!

No comments: