Friday, February 24, 2012

escaping from stupid quotes, for one thing

Today as I work, I'm listening on my computer to a Sirius radio channel called "Escape"... and maybe it's because thoughts of Escape sounds particularly good today.

Where would I escape to if I could?  How about this?  -- catching tonight's non-stop flight from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Amsterdam?  After lingering in Amsterdam (my favorite city) for a few days, maybe some meandering through Europe with just a backpack, hopping trains to wherever I felt like going?  Stopping to see my friend Elke in Germany, skipping down to Italy, then back up through Spain and France, doing some writing in Paris?

It's nice to know Europe is there, if I could just somehow find my way back there.

Oh! -- and I just ran across this quote, made somewhere, sometime, by Mitt Romney:  "I want you to remember when our White House reflected the best of who we are, not the worst of what Europe has become."

Such talk, in its abject ignorance, reflects the worst of American has become.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I know what you mean, yesterday I was dying to go to Austria! I didn't though; I'm still here. Besides, I wanted to transport myself to an Austrian June, not an Austrian February. Well, not like that one June when we were there and they were having the hottest weather they'd ever had and no place had A/C, remember that? Ugh. OK, I'm done babbling (for now).