Wednesday, April 18, 2012

misspelling ecclesiastes

My Sunday School teachers of old would be ashamed of me for misspelling Ecclesiates in yesterday's post (thanks, Lee, Biblical scholar, for pointing that out!), but I just think it was due to carelessness and to my resistance to using Spell-check, and who knows if the word "ecclesiastes" is in Spell-check anyway?

After having it all drummed into my head for the first twenty years of my life, I bet I can still name the 66 books of the Bible in order.  Apparently spelling them is the problem.

Ecclesiastes?  Here is some Bible trivia for you:  The word means "teacher" or "preacher".  Like most books of the Bible, nobody knows who wrote the book of Ecclesiastes and when it was written, but some like to think it was written by King Solomon.  I say this:  If King Solomon had seven hundred wives and three hundred concubines and the Queen of Sheba on the side, how would he have had the time to write any books?  And this guy was the wisest man who ever lived?  I mean, think how many of the wives and concubines would have PMS at any given time!  One thing is for sure:  He wouldn't be in favor of the "one man/one woman" version of what some people today think that marriage is defined as!

Speaking of Spell-check, here is a link to a funny poem about it:  http://people.usd.edu/~bwjames/humor/spell.html

*****
The above post is an example of literary babbling.

No comments: