Monday, November 3, 2014

mid-autumn sports update

Basketball:  The NBA season started last week, and Tom and I took in two Minnesota Timberwolves games (We have tickets for all 41 home games).  The Wolves won the first, beating the Detroit Pistons, and lost the second one to the Chicago Bulls by one point with .2 second left to play.  It was traumatic to be that close to a win, only to lose on a last-second foul to my least-favorite NBA team, the Bulls.  And why do I dislike the Bulls?  It has nothing to do with the team itself:  it's their fans that show up at that once-a-year Bulls-Wolves match here on our home court.  They have to be the most obnoxious fans anywhere, and how nice it would have been to shut down those loudmouths with a win.  So I'm still traumatized, and I wonder why I ever watch sports at all if it leads to heartbreak.

Baseball:   The slowest (?) of all sports finally ended its season last week with the San Francisco Giants beating the Kansas City Royals in the World Series.  Most people seemed to be rooting for the Royals, since its been eons since they've been in the Series and the Giants have won 3 of the last 5.  It went down to the wire, the 7th game, in Kansas City, and the Giants pulled out a win.  Royals fans are traumatized too, when they should be happy that they even made it that far -- way farther than my favorite teams, the Phillies and the Twins.

Football:  It's been a weird season so far.  No team seems to be very consistent.  There are upsets and there are blowouts.  It could end up anywhere.  At least, my team, the Philadelphia Eagles are 6-2.

Hockey:  All I know is that the Minnesota Wild are doing pretty well.  Local Wild fans seems happy but cautious.  Go, Wild!

No comments: