Wednesday, November 5, 2014

the personality of a urologist, part 2

When I wrote the first "personality of a urologist" post (21 June 2011), I was in the hospital, lamenting the fact that all of the prior urologists I had been to had been personality duds but feeling optimistic about my new one, the doctor who had just operated on me.  It turned out that he, Dr. Kern, became my favorite doctor of any kind of my whole life.  He had a way of making me feel comfortable and confident and taken care of.  As I would go for my annual checkup after that, I liked him more all the time.  He was the opposite of the stereotypically cold, personality-less urologist.

Two days ago, I received a letter from the clinic reminding me that it's time for my annual checkup and informing me, to my shock, that Dr. Kern had died suddenly and unexpectedly last December, which would have been not long after my last visit.  I had no idea that he was dead, and I'm still upset that I didn't know.  What a great doctor he was.  I'll miss having him there for me, and I'll miss him as a person.  I bet I won't ever find another one that I'll trust as much.

No comments: