Friday, July 15, 2011

they're just wild about harry

Summer blockbuster movies are usually sequels or remakes and badly written excuses for computer-generated, overdone special effects.  The big one this summer is the new (and last) Harry Potter episode, which opened today nationwide.  It's one of those movies where fans line up at midnight to be the first to see it.  This Harry Potter finale goes all out -- mega-effects, 3D, Imax, the works... Ruthie, Tom and James are going to see it at the Mall of America theaters this Sunday. They picked that theater because it has theater seats that rock at the appropriate moments in the movie (!).

... and I will do my best to avoid it, having seen none of the Harry Potter movies yet and turned off (or confused?) by the pieces that I have seen... Oh well!  I do think in some ways the Harry Potter phenomenon has been good -- it has gotten kids and adults who normally don't read books to read something, at least.

My fear is that it could be a good enough film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar next year, in which case I'd eventually be self-obligated to see it, which means that I'd have to see the other Harry Potters first.  At least, Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry, seems cool.  And my sister Joan has seen him naked...but that's a whole 'nother story.

No comments: