Wednesday, May 11, 2011

he wants to buy a vowel

I'm more or less back to normal and am back in the ICU with Ronnie.  He had to have gall bladder surgery this morning, so I changed my plane reservation from today to Saturday.  His surgery went well, especially considering how weak and vulnerable to infection he is.  My sister Mary is with me, and we are conversing with Ronnie in his groggy state.  A few minutes ago, he asked if we could have a sing-along -- "Michael, Row Your Boat Ashore" -- but we didn't get too far with it, and I'm sure that by now he doesn't remember that he wanted to sing.  Ronnie has the twisted sense of humor that runs in our family, and he has kept us amused when he is on drugs or off.  A couple days ago, in one of his loopier moments, he awoke from his drug-induced sleep saying, "I want to buy a vowel!"... Another time he woke up trying to remember the starting line-up of the 1969 New York Mets!

The hospital where he is, in Voorhees Township, New Jersey (just outside of Philadelphia), seems good, is very friendly... but in ten days they are moving the whole hospital into brand-new facilities.  Can you imagine moving a whole hospital?  It sure would be nice to have him out of here and back to some sort of normal life before that happens.

No comments: