Wednesday, May 25, 2011

brief updates in my world

1)  My brother Ronnie has been having a couple of much better days.  He is off the ventilator, is alert, is in somewhat less pain than he was, and there is at least a small chance that he will be out of ICU and into a regular room by the end of the week.  We, his family and friends, have been riding roller-coaster emotions the past week, when news one day is bleak and the next day is hopeful.  It's amazing how resilient he is after what he has been through:  there is a whole Ronnie that I never knew.

2)  My son Jon, on his two-week European vacation, loves Paris and is now venturing by car out into the Loire Valley of France.  I keep wondering what will happen with that Iceland volcanic-ash problem that is grounding a lot of flights in northern Europe.  I'm hoping he doesn't get stuck somewhere over there.  On the other hand, is there a better place to get stuck?

3)  Because of the "stairwell waterfalls" the other day at our condo building, two out of the three elevators are out of commission.  One of the two will be back in service by the end of June, the other not until September.  Why must it take so long?  Makes me realize how little I know about the complexities of elevators.  In any case, we are using the stairs most of the time.

4)  We have friends of Jerry's, Norm and Tomoko, visiting for a few days from Seattle, and it's fun to keep them entertained.  Tonight we're all going to see Arsenic and Old Lace at the Guthrie Theater.

No comments: