Tuesday, September 30, 2014

howling wolves and suicidal moths

During the week that I took off from blogging, I spent a long weekend with Jerry and Tom up in the Minnesota north woods, four hours north of the Twin Cities, in a lake cabin belonging to a friend of Jerry's, and had a marvelous time.  It's good to occasionally get away from the city, out there in a sort of wilderness, hearing the soothing sounds of loons (it's sort of an On Golden Pond kind of lake) and the intimidating howling of wolves.

Sunday was unseasonably warm, especially considering that this cabin is in the far northeast corner of the state -- almost to Canada --, and we spent a great five hours or so out on a pontoon, giving me a rare late-September sunburn but enjoying the relaxation and peacefulness,  When the weather cooled, we built a fire in the fireplace and played cards and watched the Vikings game (they won!) and ate well.  I was disturbed when a crazy moth kamikazed into my glass of scotch (what a way to go!), but otherwise the weekend was drama-free and perfect.  Remind me to do it again sometime!

on Caribou Lake

view from the kitchen table

view from the pontoon

No comments: