Thursday, September 18, 2014

sláinte, Scotland!

By the time you read this, if you pay any attention to the news at all, you'll probably already know whether Scotland voted YES or NO today on whether the secede from the United Kingdom and be its own country.

the flag of Scotland
Scotland has been on my short list to visit ever since I became a scotch aficionado last year.  We want to do the distillery tours there -- plus Scotland just seems like a cool place to go.  Maybe we'll go next year, if I can rack up enough frequent-flyer points in the meantime.

But seceding from the UK?  I understand the national pride issue and the fact that the Scots want to distance themselves from the British Conservative Party, but seceding will cause more problems than it will solve -- so I say stay with the English and let them take care of the big things.  Look at the U.S.A. -- we left in 1776 and it's been downhill for us ever since! ...  Well, maybe not.  :-)

Plus, on a more personal level, I was reading that if Scotland secedes, scotch might become scarcer and more expensive.  Right now, I have about 15 different brands of scotch stashed away, but that won't last forever, will it?

Macallan 12 on the rocks

1 comment:

vickie said...

"We" left because of the high taxes, and I think we are now worse off in that respect.