Sunday, May 12, 2013

stax, burning love, etc. - Part 4


I'm not sure what got into me that led me into this little Tennessee travelogue, but this is the finale and if I haven't talked you into a trip to Memphis sometime, then the heck with you.

Back to Memphis music..

You may know of Beale Street, which is sort of the home of Memphis blues as well as lots of BBQ ribs and the Memphis Grizzlies (NBA basketball team, currently in the playoffs).  Beale Street, unless you are a heavy drinker, is a place you just stroll along and maybe listen to some blues now and then.  It's sort of a carnival atmosphere, if you are in the mood for such a thing.

But then we ventured to a neighborhood south of that hubbub to visit the Stax Museum.  You know I'm a big fan of '60s R & B music-- and, if you don't know that, you aren't paying attention -- and Stax Records was a major producer of big R & B hits, starting early '60s and into the early '70s.  The recording studio then fell into disrepair but has now been restored into a museum, which for me was interesting because I knew all the artists and songs that the museum was celebrating.

Music, wonderful food, Memphis.... It was good to get out of town after a rough busy season and being reminded that other worlds exist beyond the immediate.  Pick a place, get out of town, refresh....

No comments: