Tuesday, May 28, 2013

you could be reincarnated as a giraffe


It was a dreary day.  It didn't feel like the beginning of summer, like Memorial Day is supposed to feel.  But what the heck, we decided to go to the zoo, and the place was surprisingly busy.  Como Zoo, that is, in St. Paul.

And your favorite animals at the zoo?  Mine are without a doubt the giraffes, the most fascinating of animals, and I am drawn to their space and they just stand there, being watched for being so different.  Can you imagine actually being a giraffe though?  Wouldn't it be kind of awkward, always ducking your head, and being that tall and not being able to play basketball?  And what would a sore throat be like?

I always think about a little girl quoted in one of those "Children's Letters to God" books:  "Did you mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an accident?"

3 comments:

Jon said...

Favorite animals at Como? Hmmmm, I'm trying to remember what they have. I'll say the cats (particularly the snow leopards), the lemurs, and some of the smaller monkeys (although monkeys are kind of disgusting). Last time I was there the sloth was being really active too... and that's a statement you don't hear every day. I didn't know you liked giraffes! (In fact, I can't picture you going to the zoo at all!) Why am I even commenting on this post? Does anyone care?

Howard said...

Jon, I'm sure everybody cares. And it takes a blog for a father and son to find out what each other's favorite zoo animals are?

I keep wishing they'd get an elephant!

elke said...

Did I ever tell you the story about the giraffe and the mouse? The giraffe bragging about the luxury of having such a wonderfully loooong neck and the pleasures of eating with such a long throat, thus enhancing the experience of the flavour of a good meal... Commiserating poor little mouse? And the mouse snapping back: "Well, hhmmm, did you ever have to puke?"