Friday, February 22, 2008

can't decide

Well, we saw the last two Best Picture nominees, and I have to say I've never had this much trouble deciding on a favorite. These last two, Atonement and There Will Be Blood, both of which I had low expectations for, were very good movies, so I'm thinking that any of the five nominees could win Best Picture and I'd be okay with it. I usually have somebody to at least root against. OK, let's see. Maybe I'll pick Juno, which I enjoyed the most and would see again, as my favorite, even though it's the kind of small movie that is generally just happy to be nominated. Then there is Atonement, which to me was way better than the Ian McEwan novel (and when have I ever preferred a movie version to the book?). And of course I like the Coen brothers. And George Clooney. :-(

My other (selected) picks: Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood; Best Actress: Julie Christie for Away From Her (I love Julie Christie); Directing: the Coen Brothers for No Country for Old Men (they should have won for Fargo); Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton; Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton; Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for Juno (she wrote it here in the Twin Cities at coffee shops); Best Cinematography: Atonement.

Anyway, I'm glad that self-imposed pressure is off for a while. No more movies for a while. But I might be seeing three plays next week.

No comments: