Friday, December 7, 2012

it may be big, but it ain't easy

In my ongoing educational endeavors, I was going to tell you why New Orleans is nicknamed the Big Easy, but apparently there isn't a clear-cut answer to that question.  It might be that jazz musicians used to find it easy to find work in this music-driven city.... Or it might be something else entirely.  I doubt that anything here is easy anymore.

Before you visit here, friends will warn you about crime, pickpockets, drunks, dirt, and there may be some truth to everything they say, but there is an unmistakable charm and good energy too.

I got up early, while Jerry sleeps in, and have been wandering the early-morning neighborhoods.  At the moment, I'm sitting at a Starbucks on busy Canal Street, which seems to be the dividing line between the central business district and the French Quarter.  That's enough sitting and blogging for now.... I'm off.

No comments: