Wednesday, February 13, 2013

benedict, hanging out at the senior citizens' center

Well, no, I didn't watch the State of the Union address last night.  Sure, I love Obama, but have you ever seen a State of the Union speech that wasn't annoying?

So instead, I'll talk about something else of which I know very little:  popes.

Admittedly, I'm not Catholic, and I really don't get the whole pope thing -- I mean, why there are such things as popes.  But, whatever, the pope always has a way of staying in the news.

Consider, in my lifetime, we've had some unusual pope events.  There was Pope John Paul I back in the late '70s, who died 33 days after becoming pope, followed by Pope John Paul II, who was shot in an assassination attempt.  Now we have the latest guy, Pope Benedict XVI, who just announced this week that he is resigning.  He is the first pope to resign since the year 1415.

Being pope is a lifetime appointment, so this is very unusual.  And what does he do now?  Watch The Price is Right every morning?  Buy an RV?  Or might you run into him as you have your grilled cheese sandwich for lunch at the Senior Citizens' Center?  He seems like a most unpleasant sort of fellow, so you better hope he doesn't sit next to you.  You're not going to want to hear his stories about the good ol' days.

No comments: