Monday, January 28, 2013

hitchcock on ice

By mentioning TV again, I'm risking sounding like the most boring person on earth ("What? Something happened to Regis Philbin??"), but here I go:

What I watched on TV this weekend (Keep in mind that it was cold and icy and snowy outside -- I'd rather think of myself as a kill-your-television kind of guy than a couch potato):

--  The HBO movie, The Girl, which tells the tale of movie director Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren, the actress that he made into a star in two of his movies in the early 1960s, The Birds and Marnie, and subsequently whose career he tried to destroy after she rebuffed his sexual advances.  It's a very unflattering picture of Mr. Hitchcock.
--  And then I noticed that an old Hitchcock movie that I hadn't ever seen, Rear Window, was a free movie on On Demand, so I watched it.  What a cool film!  Hitchcock may have had his dark side, personality-wise, but his twisted way of presenting life on screen paid off for the viewing audience now and then.
--  The SAG Awards.  OK, that's a topic for another time.

No comments: