Sunday, February 19, 2012

extremely, incredibly

I try to avoid going to a movie in an outer-ring suburb, but we waited too long and that's the only place we could find Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close still playing, so we put up with young airheads as they moseyed through the cineplex and as they noisily moved from movie to movie obviously doing anything to get a little attention.  Remind me next time to get to a movie before it gets lost out there in oblivion.

But Ruthie and I were able to talk Tom and Joan into going with us, so we had a good time.  The movie, based on the Jonathan Safran Foer novel that I read several years ago and mostly forgot about, was better than I was expecting, the main weakness, in my uneducated mind, being that Tom Hanks was playing the part of the father who died on 9/11.  I don't mind Tom Hanks generally, but in this film he just never stopped being Tom Hanks, and that was a distraction from the story.  The character should have been played by an unknown actor.

And now I've seen all nine of the Best Picture Oscar nominees, my goal.  In a couple days, I'll rank them for you, "most deserving" of the Oscar to "least deserving".  I know you're waiting with bated breath.

No comments: