Saturday, May 19, 2012

a night in the freak capital

I was here in Asheville, North Carolina one other time before today, one Saturday night in 1965, and maybe I'll tell you over drinks sometime why I was here back then.

It's changed since then.

It's become sort of a hippie mecca, artsy, liberal, offbeat.. (think:  a smaller version of Portland, Oregon [which has an unofficial motto of "Keep Portland Weird"]).  Rolling Stone magazine has named Asheville "The New Freak Capital of the U.S."  --  So, of course I kind of like it.

1 comment:

ruthie said...

It's strange you went to Asheville. I was going through looking for things in the mess at our storage today and Ryan holds up a photo and asks about it. It was a photo from when I was in Asheville about 10 years ago. I actually have a video too that I shot while there.