Friday, May 4, 2012

mid-spring sports update

Update -- HA!  Heck, what do I know?

It's just that this is about the time I do a mid-season update, so I feel sort of obligated, but this season I'm more clueless than usual.

The NBA basketball playoffs?  Except for ESPN junkies, does anybody really know who's in the playoffs?  And then there are the NHL hockey playoffs, an even more remote story.  Once the Philadelphia Flyers get knocked off by the Devils, then I won't even glance in hockey's direction til maybe next year.

Baseball has been off and running for a month now and seems to not be inspiring many people.  Here in Minnesota, the Twins are the worst team in the league this season, so the locals are particularly uninspired.  A funny sidenote to that is that my non-sports-oriented son Jon and I going to a Twins game next Friday night because his boss at work gave him tickets.  "Now you're wondering," he emailed me, "how someone could work with me for 9 years and think I would have the slightest interest in going to a Twins game?  Obviously some people don't pay attention.... So, if you want to go, we could do that for a while and then leave and do something more fun (which would be almost anything)."

That might be the highlight of the spring sports season:  seeing Jon at a baseball game.

1 comment:

ruthie said...

make sure to post a picture of him at the game!