Sunday, March 20, 2011

i've looked at clouds from both sides now

Darn.  I was looking forward to seeing the moon last night.  You know I'm kind of a moon freak anyway, and last night's full moon was supposed to be the biggest and brightest of the last twenty years.  I've been reading some Facebook friends' comments this morning about how beautiful it was,  but they are obviously in another part of the country.  We went up to the condo's roof (22nd floor) to see it, and the sky was nothing but clouds all night.  No moon anywhere in sight.

If I have to wait another twenty years to see a moon like that ("as big as a house", as they say in the movie Moonstruck), I might be on the other side of the moon by then, or, if I still happen to be here, another cloudy night will probably in the forecast.  Some things aren't meant to be.
*****
Stormclouds of a different kind on the other side of the world, as American and French airplanes are bombing Libya.  My friend Elke in Germany wrote me last night:  "... before night falls, I want to write an email to you, telling you that I am sad, so sad about this bloody kind of spreading democracy."  That makes two of us being sad.  Do as we say, Qaddafi, not as we do.  I wonder how many innocent people we will kill versus how many innocent people he will kill.  And I wonder what kind of government will eventually replace him.  Remember this -- In the '80s in Afghanistan, we were arming and supporting the rebels who became the Taliban.

1 comment:

D. A. Dixon said...

This - "Remember this -- In the '80s in Afghanistan, we were arming and supporting the rebels who became the Taliban" is exactly what I fear.