Monday, October 15, 2012

hobbling jack flash

I'm quite aware that rock 'n roll, when compared to the age of the earth, is still a young phenomenon, but I'm amused that the Rolling Stones are celebrating their 50th year as a band:  rock is older than it feels.  In fact, the guys just announced today that they are doing concerts in December in London and New York.

As much as I have always loved the Stones, I've never gone to one of their concerts.  If I ever have wanted to go, it was in the late '60s, when they were in their prime, but I've always much preferred their studio sound to their live concerts.  Still, I guess it would have been fun to see Mick and Keith sometime, just to say you had seen them.  Maybe seeing them in person isn't really about the music. Every time they announce a new concert tour, everybody assumes it will be their last.  They're almost in their 70s now, which, let's face it, isn't nearly as old as it used to be.  Let's see how long they can go.  I'm still telling people to read Keith Richards's autobiography, Life.  It's one of my favorite books.

No comments: