Friday, June 24, 2011

north by southwest

My sister Mary and my grand-nephew James arrive here in Minneapolis/St. Paul late tomorrow morning, and I find myself a little nervous about their trip.  First of all, this will be James' (age 18) first time on an airplane.  Second, they are coming from southern New Jersey, which usually means that you fly out of Philadelphia on either Delta or U.S. Airways, but flights were expensive, so they're flying out of Newark instead -- a farther drive, a more unfamiliar territory -- and they are coming on Southwest Airlines, changing planes in Chicago.  AND their flight leaves Newark at 6 a.m., which means a mostly sleepless night for them.

I personally haven't ever flown Southwest before, have you?  I picture it being kind of a cattle-call kind of atmosphere since there are no seat assignments, but some people love that unique airline.  James is very excited.  I want it to be a good experience for him.

I've been easing back into the work world the past couple days, and that's going okay.  Ready for a fun, beautiful Pride weekend with our visitors and other family members. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I flew southwest about 5 years ago. I loved it. I don't remember not having an assigned seat, but they asked if wanted to "upgrade to a better seat with lots of leg room (no charge). Of course, I did. The best part was for refreshments, they served warm baked chocolate chip cookies. Best flight I ever had out of all the ones I've taken. But then again, I'm usually in a small cramped seat.
vickie